Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Advantages & Disadvantages of No TV

Every now & then I will watch the evening news in my rental cottage (generally in the winter months). Occasionally the newscaster will begin a story with these words: "Unless you have been living in a cave this last month you are aware that...."

I guess I have been living in a metaphorical cave. Only yesterday did I learn about Tropical Depression Cindy and Hurricane Dennis. Ocracokers usually follow tropical weather reports, so I suppose I really should pay closer attention.

On the other hand, I am able to blissfully pass most days working at the Village Craftsmen, sipping a late afternoon gin & tonic on my front porch, playing cribbage in the evening, entertaining my grandson Lachlan, or taking a cool dip in the ocean (the water was delightful today). Maybe I am not the best informed citizen, but I hope I provide some balance to a fast-paced, hectic lifestyle that all too often neglects life's simple joys and pleasures. At any rate, it suits me.

[Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Kunigunde Guth Howard, published June 30, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news061505.htm.]

No comments:

Post a Comment