Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Fourth Grade Writing Assignment

Michael Good is a rising fifth grader who lives in southern Virginia, and Ocracoke is one of his favorite places to visit. In May he wrote the following essay for his writing class. The simple pleasures Ocracoke has to offer obviously continue to appeal to people of all ages.

"Ocracoke Island is a special place. My family goes there every summer.

I smell the fresh salty air mixed with smelly fish. I can also smell awesome seafood being grilled, smoked, fried, and broiled.

I can see many things like huge waves, tan sand, colorful umbrellas and chairs, and brown trees. I also see gray dolphins jumping, bright colored shells, and white sand dollars.

I can hear waves crashing, bees buzzing, birds calling and people talking.

What I can taste is creamy clam chowder, tasty pizza, hot shrimp, great crab legs, and salty fish.

What I can touch is warm water, rough sand, pointy grass, and splintery trees. I can also feel smooth shells and cold sand dollars.

This is why I like Ocracoke Island."

[Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Kunigunde Guth Howard, published June 30, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news061505.htm.]

.

No comments:

Post a Comment