Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Clop, Clop, Clop

Imagine my surprise yesterday evening as I was sitting on my porch swing about 9 o'clock. A large white draft horse ambled by pulling a white carriage. I waved to the drivers and they stopped to chat for a few minutes. They are here on vacation (I guess they just decided to bring along their draft horse and carriage like other folks pack sun screen and beach umbrellas!).

They've decided to offer rides around the village this week. Sounds like they might return next season, too -- maybe for the entire summer.

(On this date in 1925 the four masted schooner, "Victoria S," loaded with lumber, wrecked on Ocracoke's beach.)

[Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Old Toothbrush Man, published August 01, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news080105.htm.]

.

No comments:

Post a Comment