Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Day Off

Visitors to Ocracoke come to the island to swim in the ocean, ride bikes in the village, fish a bit, and just relax. They sometimes imagine that those of us who live here are on a twelve month vacation. They see us sitting on our porches, walking along the beach, and working barefooted. We enjoy a delightful lifestyle to be sure, but no, we are not on an extended holiday.

However we do take days off, even in the busy summer months. Yesterday I slept a bit later than usual, then rode out to the Pony Pen beach. The water was warm and rougher than nornal, but I didn't notice any strong currents. I swam and floated and dove under the waves. The sky was the bluest blue with cotton candy clouds on the eastern horizon. A few rain clouds hovered over the ocean to the south and over the sound to the west. I walked several miles soaking in the warm August sun.

After lunch I read a while and took a short nap. By 3:30 I was ready to discharge my duty as babysitter. Lachlan and I went visiting. Our first stop was to see Muzel Bryant. She is 101 years old and sharp as an island sand spur. After visiting several other folks we played in the parlor, had our supper, and fell asleep in the hammock.

Not a bad way to spend a day off.

[Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Old Toothbrush Man, published August 01, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news080105.htm.]

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:43 PM

    What a wonderful way to spend the day!! I must admit that I am just a little jealous. While I know that every day on Ocracoke is not a vacation for native islanders, just the variety of the days must be a treat. Of course that comes from one who has spent the last fourty seven years in the mountains of Vermont...

    ReplyDelete