Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Doasted Right

I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas.

I picked Lou Ann up on Saturday (had to leave on Friday so I could be at the Raleigh-Durham airport early on Christmas Eve day). We caught the 4:30 pm ferry home, just in time to join in on the Christmas Eve potluck that was underway at my house.

When we walked in there were 25 - 30 people sampling a table full of delectibles. It was wonderful. And we didn't even have to bring a dish!

On Christmas morning Lou Ann & I hosted a family breakfast for ten folks, then opened presents. Lou Ann says her new knee-high rubber boots are perfect for helping her feel like she really belongs on the island.

Dinnertime found us all at Julie Howard's home for ham & chicken pot pie.

The only thing that has marred the holidays is that Lou Ann & I are "doasted right." (This is an island saying meaning "sick as a dog." It comes from "dose" as in "I've got a dose [of the flu, e. g.].") Actually we're not "down in bed" sick, but still not feeling very chipper. I think we're on the mend, though, so I hope I'll be back at the computer regularly to keep you posted about island goings-on.

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Ocracoke's Street Names, Part II, published December 19, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news121805.htm.

.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:49 PM

    I wanted to say thanks again for your journal, when I found it by accident a few months ago surfing the web, it spurred me on to learn about Ocracoke, which I knew nothing about previously. My wife surprised me with a short trip there this week as my Christmas gift (we both loved the shop, by the way!), now I think she's afraid she's opened Pandora's box because I'm already planning the next trip back. What a magical place......Best wishes for a speedy recovery and thanks again for the journal, you opened a whole new world up to me :-) Perry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perry, I hope you enjoy the island for many years to come. Ocracoke truly is a magical place. Philip

    ReplyDelete