Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Island Quiet

I'm told it's foggy this morning, though from my window it just appears overcast. Maybe the Cedar Island & Swan Quarter ferries were blowing their fog horns eary this morning, but I was still asleep and didn't hear them. As I write tree frogs are peeping from their hiding places, and birds are twittering in the branches, but otherwise the morning is still and quiet.

The Memorial Day weekend crowd has mostly returned home. We are anticipating a few days to catch our breath before the Ocrafolk Festival begins Friday evening with a community pot luck dinner and benefit auction. If you're planning to be on the island this weekend be sure to stroll down Howard Street and take in all the music, storytelling, and crafts. It is always a super festival.

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's the story of the Invasion of Ocracoke & Portsmouth in the War of 1812.
.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 AM

    As I told you on the front porch of the Back Porch, your posts keep me connected to Ocracoke. I'll pretend all that traffic out my window this morning is actually really loud tree frogs.

    Grateful for you,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:46 PM

    Greetings,

    I just spent last week on Ocracoke. I so wanted to come in for a chat. It seems that the beach always dominates my schedule and I didn't make it in this time.
    I agree with Amy, your blog helps me make it between Ocracoke visits. I am sure there are tons of people that feel the way I do, but I really wish Ocracoke was my home. I have loved it since I was a child. I always said I was going to live there someday. I don't know if it will ever be possible. Your blog does help keep us all connected. Keep up the good work. By the way, I enjoyed seeing your completed house this time. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete