Friday, July 28, 2006

Island News

Just like in the 1970s, our power flickered & went out right after 5 pm yesterday afternoon. This hasn't been a regular occurance for some time now. I never heard an explanation for yesterday's outage, but it seems plausible that it was the same old problem again -- everyone coming back to their cottages after a delightful day at the beach....and turning up their A/C and turning on their hot water showers.

Lou Ann & I had planned to have dinner at the Cafe Atlantic. Lucky for us they have a generator, since the power stayed off for several hours. By the time we got home power had been restored.

I got this comment on yesterday's journal entry: "We got to the island around 5:30 pm for a late day visit. The first news I heard was the idiot who drove his Harley in the sand and got it stuck. The other news was the old guy walking around stark naked. Sorry I missed both! Unfortunately the electric was out and I missed going to the Village Craftsmen."

Wow! It's getting so we're now getting our island news from visitors. I never heard about either of those events. And our waitress never mentioned them either. I suppose we'll hear a report before the day is over. It seems like there's seldom a dull moment on Ocracoke Island.

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's about Ocracoke Islanders and "tokens of death."
.

No comments:

Post a Comment