Saturday, November 11, 2006

John Lovick

On this date in 1719....that's almost three hundred years ago....the Lords Proprietors of Carolina granted Ocracoke Island to John Lovick. According to William S. Powell in "The Proprietors of Carolina" Carolina was "roughly from the present-day Georgia-Florida boundary northward to the middle of Albemarle Sound and from the Atlantic westward to the 'South Seas,' some vague place in the west not then fully understood."

Blackbeard had been captured and killed slightly less than a year before the grant was made. Lovick, a Welsh Quaker, used the island only for grazing livestock. It was not until some years later that pilots began to settle in the area known today as Springer's Point. The rest, as they say, is history.

To see new items we've added to our on-line catalog, please click here: "What's New at Village Craftsmen".

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's the story of two old maps (1590 & 1795) and place names on the Outer Banks.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment