Thursday, December 07, 2006

Back on the Island Again

Our readers must think we never stay home this time of year. I apologize for the gap in posts yesterday and earlier today. Unfortunately, I was off-island for a funeral. My brother's wife, Elaine, died late last week after a long illness, and I went to be with him. Jude was also off island, so we elected to let the journal go for a day or so.

Before I left I shut off the water to my outside shower. I had heard we might be getting our first real cold snap. According to forecasts, temperatures tonight and tomorrow night might plunge to the freezing point. There is also the possibility of strong winds and soundside flooding. Seems like we've had our fair share of that already this season. But I guess that's just one consequence of living out here on the Outer Banks. Really, we're not complaining. A little adventure can be exciting, and we also reap the benefits of living on this enchanted island.

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's the story of two old maps (1590 & 1795) and place names on the Outer Banks.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment