Thursday, February 01, 2007

Muzel

Just an update this morning. Several days ago I mentioned Muzel Bryant, our island's oldest resident. Muze, who will turn 103 on March 12 had apparently been wondering why I hadn't been by to visit lately. I pleaded a series of hefty colds, and two trips to see Lou Ann. But this past Sunday I called Amy, and the two of us strolled over to see Muze.

Muze is doing remarkably well. Although she uses a walker, she was up and about when we arrived. She finally took a seat and we talked for about 45 minutes. We reminisced about life on the island when she was growing up, chatted about how her two younger sisters were doing, and then we shared current island news. Muze asked about Lachlan, and remembered that he was born on my birthday, August 2. I can only hope that my mind is as sharp as hers in my old age. If it is it will be an improvement

Muze didn't think she'd have a big birthday party this year. Three years ago the community turned out for a dinner on her one hundredth birthday. Afterwards Muze led the way out to the Pub for a party. I'm embarrassed to report that I left at 11:00, about two hours before Muze headed home! You can read about her 2004 party here.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter chronicles the story of commercial fishing on Ocracoke, and tells of the efforts of the Ocracoke Working Watermen's Association to save the island's last remaining fish house. Click here to read the entire newsletter....and learn how to make a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment