Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Where Are the Dolphins?

I gazed out over the water yesterday afternoon. Only low languid waves nudged the wide sandy beach. Mostly the surface of the water was smooth and calm. What a perfect day for swimming, actually swimming in the ocean, I thought. If only it wasn't so cold. With temperatures hovering right around freezing all day I decided it was prudent just to walk and enjoy the sunshine. For the better part of an hour I walked....and looked out toward the horizon. Normally, on a calm wintry day it is unusual not to see dolphins breaking the surface just beyond the breakers. But yesterday none were to be seen. I have no reason to suspect anything dire. But it was curious. Last evening David told me that at least one person saw dolphins off shore yesterday. I suppose I'll just have to go back out there later today and have a look one more time.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter chronicles the story of commercial fishing on Ocracoke, and tells of the efforts of the Ocracoke Working Watermen's Association to save the island's last remaining fish house. Click here to read the entire newsletter....and learn how to make a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment