Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Biting Wind

Yesterday afternoon I walked along the surf. In the winter I always start out heading into the wind, usually north. I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, a hat, an outer jacket, and woolen gloves. I pulled the sweatshirt strings tight around my neck. In short order I pulled the hood of my jacket up over my head and fastened the tabs in front of my chin and mouth. I could barely see. Only the sand and incoming tide at my feet were not obscured. The frigid air was biting at my eyes and cheeks. But I trudged on.

Finally I turned around and headed home. "May the wind always be at your back" is a worthy toast. What a difference. I lowered both hoods and even unzipped my jacket. The return walk was much more pleasant.

Today the weather has moderated quite a bit. Temperatures are now in the mid 60s. I suppose I'd be foolish not to take a walk on the beach today.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells about island customs relating to death & dying. You can read the newsletter here.

1 comment:

  1. Philip, I think you may be controlling the world with your blogs. You wrote "where are the dolphins?" and a couple of days later you saw dolphins. Then you wrote "where is spring?" and the next day it was much warmer. Would you mind blogging "where is Kati's million dollars"? Thanks in advance...

    ReplyDelete