- An Inconvenient Truth will be shown at Deepwater Theater Sunday evening. There is no charge and everyone is invited. (Check at the P.O. for the time.)
- Monday, March 12, is Muzel Bryant's 103rd birthday. Happy Birthday Muze! I understand that The Today Show will air Muzel's birthday on March 14th, between 8:00 and 9:30 am.
- Tuesday evening, March 13, at 7:00 pm Ocracoke Friends of the Library will hold their annual membership meeting. Again everyone is invited.
- Contractors are laying sidewalks in the heart of the village as I write. They are scheduled to be finished no later than the middle of May.
- The OPS Museum will open to the public on March 29th. This begins its 16th year of operation.
- Today is the anniversary of the wreck of the Lillie F. Schmidt in 1893. The wreck was sighted at 6 am, ten miles from the Hatteras Inlet Life Saving Station. The crew, with the help of mules, brought the life saving equipment to the vessel and rescued all seven crew members. They returned to their station at midnight, after walking twenty miles. The keeper reported that the surfmen were "tired and worn out."
This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells about island customs relating to death & dying. You can read the newsletter here.