Saturday, March 03, 2007

More About Broken Seashells

On Wednesday I wrote a few lines about broken shells. It's always reassuring to know that folks are actually reading my posts, so I was pleased to get feedback from my cousin Dallie who works here at Village Craftsmen.

It seems the entry about broken shells brought back memories of a conversation Dallie's mama had years ago with an island artist. Dallie's mother made a comment to the artist about the beauty of a seashell and it's near perfect symmetry and form. He immediately countered that as an artist he found broken shells much more interesting and intriguing. Broken shells often reveal shapes and forms that complete shells lack, he explained.

So I've decided to include a photo of the conch that rests on my back porch table. Enjoy.



This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells about island customs relating to death & dying. You can read the newsletter here.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    As a frequent visitor to Ocracoke over the last 10 years, I too am always in search of that perfect conch shell. Although I have found some near-perfect ones, I always bring home the broken ones as well. I tell my husband that they have "character". Perhaps this is a reflection of myself -- at 51, I'm sure not perfect, but I'd like to think that I have "character".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:25 PM

    I read your blog every day just before I turn off my computer, it's a great way to end the work day......Perry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:33 AM

    Cool post you got here. It would be great to read more concerning this theme. Thanx for posting that info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but the photo seems to have disappeared. At least I can't see it. I'll check when I get back home (I'm off island at the moment). But you can see some other creative things islanders have done with broken seashells, pine cones, and other things here: http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.com/2010/01/beach-tree.html

    ReplyDelete