Wednesday, August 22, 2007

One More Reason....

....to call Ocracoke home. This morning I took Lachlan with me as I ran a few errands. I stopped at the Variety Store for a few items and laid them on the counter. Tammy, the clerk, had rung them up just as Lachlan darted off with an impish grin on his face. I knew he was up to no good, so I pulled out my wallet and handed it to Tammy, explaining that she should just take out what I owed, and I'd be back as soon as I corralled the little devil.

When I returned, the gentleman who had been standing behind me looked at me with an astonished expression on his face.

"I guess you wouldn't have done that wherever you come from," I offered.

"Not on your life," was his reply.

It's nice to know you can trust folks. And that's just one more reason I like calling Ocracoke home.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Black Squall, a brig loaded with circus animals that wrecked on Ocracoke in April of 1861. You can read it here.

2 comments: