Philip is so easy. He writes about pot lucks and walks on the beach and all the things that y'all think Ocracoke is 100% made of and don't get me wrong, it is,.... but more like 75%. The other 25% is folks who care, fighting to keep Ocracoke the sweet place that it is. It's not an easy fight or a pretty one. Being named #1 Beach in the USA hasn't helped that fight. And, in case you haven't heard, I believe Conde Nast named us #4 in the WORLD ! It's been a double edged sword, or as I like to put it, a sharp stick in the eye. Not many of us live here to get rich, we live here for the way of life (there will be folks who disagree I'm sure ). Being named #1 Beach brought folks here who hadn't a clue what Ocracoke was all about and ended up being dissatisfied with what the island DIDN'T have to offer. I'll leave those things to your imagination. "Oh, we love your island, let us change it for you!" It was a good summer financially for all of us . I'm just so afraid we've lost something that we're not going to be able to replace. I'm not one who likes to be wrong but I sure hope I am this time.
Ok,... Ok, I'll be cheerful tomorrow... I promise. Maybe we'll go fishing tonight. Jude
Our latest monthly newsletter is Lou Ann's story of commercial clamming with 13 year old Morty. You can read it here.