Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Anniversary and other things......

Today, May 14th marks the umpteenth anniversary of my moving to Ocracoke many years ago. I came on my own but soon our sons Matty and Travis and finally Frank, my husband, followed. I told them, guys, I have found HOME! And indeed it has been a good one with great neighbors , save one or two. Living on Ocracoke is not easy and not for everyone but for the few of us it's close to heaven. It's hard to believe the years have gone so quickly...whew what a reality check. Later today our first summer employee arrives from Vermont. Her name is Ally or Allie ( not sure ) and her Mom and I have been friends for years. She'll live in the famous Gypsy Wagon out back of the shop and so her "Ocracoke Odyssey" will begin. Philip and Jaren and I spent some time yesterday making the wagon "homey" and welcoming. Today I'll pick a bouquet of roses and jasmine to put on her table and maybe take her out to dinner after her long journey. It'll be good to have her here.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an account of the 2008 Portsmouth Island Homecoming. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Hey, Jude--(Gee, that sounds like a good title for a song), I thought that I was the only Vermonter that was lucky enough to know where Ocracoke is!!! Tell Allie that another Vermonter hopes that she has a great time on my favorite island...Judy from Vermont

    ReplyDelete