Monday, January 12, 2009

Friday Night at the Community Store

I've been gone a few days -- drove Lou Ann back to the midwest (where the temps plunged into the teens and snow piled up a foot or more). I have to admit that real wintertime scenes out there are beautiful, both her quintessential small town with snow swirling around the monument in the town square, and the surrounding woodlands with their evergreens and naked disciduous trees competing for best snow-covered photo op.

Back home on the island the temperatures were considerably milder, but still it's winter. Leonard, our local banjo player sent me this news while I was gone:

"Philip, something new this year on the island: the Friday night jam session at the Community Store. In addition to the usual suspects -- Gary and David, Lou and Marcy -- there were April Trueblood, Wes Lassiter, Bobby Raborn, another young lady on mandolin (friend of April's), and myself. Plus about 20 people hootin' and hollerin' -- all of us crowded around the potbelly stove (with a real fire in it). We played from seven until nine. Great fun and we're gonna do it again next Friday."

There's no question! I'll be there this coming Friday, even though it is my poker night. Maybe I'll leave a little early, or maybe I'll just get to the poker table a little late. But I do wish Lou Ann were still here to enjoy Friday Night at the Community Store with me.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter celebrates the majestic live oaks on Ocracoke Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:33 PM

    Sounds like another great reason to visit Ocracoke during the winter months! Please let us know how long these performances will continue. Bill in Winston-Salem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:35 PM

    oh to be there on a friday night! what a marvelous time it will be. we will be thinking of all of you (and wishing we were there) each and every friday this winter season!
    jackandceleste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:59 AM

    I sure wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Was almost on the island last weekend, now wish I was! Was sitting in Duck blind, looking straight at Ocracoke and watching ferry off & on all day. But was staying in Cedar Island. Have a GREAT winter.....
    Nollie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:09 PM

    I have the winter months off from work and would love to vacation in Ocracoke. What's the weather like? Are there many businesses open, or do most of them close? Are there any places to stay in the winter months, i.e., hotels, cottages, etc?
    where can I send for info on these questions?
    thanks!
    janice in indiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter weather on Ocracoke can vary a lot. I've known it to be as cold as 7 degrees, and as warm as the mid-70s. Some winters it never goes below freezing; sometimes we get snowdrifts several feet deep. Normally the temps are in the 40s.

    Many businesses close in the coldest months, but quite a few remain open through Christmas.

    The Village Craftsmen web site has links to realtors and cottage owners (http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/ocracoke.htm). You can find out about accommodations by following the links.

    ReplyDelete