Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sixty

That's right. It's sixty degrees here today. And the sun is shining, drying out the village after several days of light rain, mist, and fog. It's the perfect day to get a few outdoor chores finished. I've already carried a truck load of branches to the public chipper. Next, I'll load up the smaller chips and fragments from the chimney into 5 gallon buckets and spread them in the low places in the road. By late afternoon I'll be ready for a walk on the beach.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter celebrates the majestic live oaks on Ocracoke Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

3 comments:

  1. Very unfair. 60 degrees? It's 22 degrees here with 10 inches of snow today which follows a huge ice storm last night in the Cincinnati area. Walk on the beach? Roads are closed here. Can't get out. Not fair. Wish I was in Ocracoke. Won't get there until the 4th of July parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to break the news, but right now (it's about 12:30) it's 69 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a Cincinnatian - in love with Ocracoke. The weather here stinks, but thoughts of the sand and sea make it all bearable! I have so many memories of Ocracoke, Philip. My parents started bringing me 35 years ago, when I was just 1 year old. It's been a love affair since! Now I bring my 3 kids, and even a foster kid or two. The island has changed, but still keeps so much of that small island feel. My children say they will bring their children someday! We can't wait for the sound of the ferry and the sticky salty air! (I'll deal with the greenheads-it's a love/hate relationship!) Love your journal!

    ReplyDelete