Sunday, September 13, 2009

Get Ready

This coming Saturday, September 19, is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Arrgh, mateys, that's right. Avast me hearties, hoist the yardarm, and shiver me timbers! Start practicing now. Maybe you'll even want to host a party to remember Captain Teach and all of his brethren of the coast. You can find much valuable information on the official web site: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html.

Let us know what you and your shipmates might be planning. Just don't get thrown in the brig!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a small photo album with historic pictures, including the aftermath of the 1944 hurricane, the 1921 Ghost Ship of the Outer Banks, the 1935 wreck of the Nomis, the Island Inn, the Methodist Church, and the Wahab Village Hotel. I've added a short paragraph under each photo to help put them in historical perspective. You can see the pictures by clicking here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082609.htm.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy I am going to be in Ocracoke on Talk like a Pirate Day!
    Ya scallywag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:28 PM

    Completely unrelated question ... I didn't see a nursery when I was there. Where do people on Ocracoke buy flowers and vegetable plants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been small nurseries on the island, but I don't know if any of them is operating right now. Maybe some of our readers know. The school has an annual spring plant sale, and you can buy plants and shrubs elsewhere on the Outer Banks and in Manteo.

    ReplyDelete