Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dinner with Friends

When I was invited to dinner Monday night I expected to gather with a congenial group of islanders and to enjoy fine food and stimulating conversation. I was not disappointed.

Many of our readers who live off island probably imagine Ocracoke as a rather boring place in winter. Most businesses are shut down, the water is too cold for swimming, and we don't have movie theaters, malls, or a university nearby. But Ocracoke is seldom boring for those of us who live here.

Sometimes dinner with family and friends is full of stories, music, laughter, and lighthearted banter. Last night included some of that (talk about oyster clutches, current events, adventures in Asia, and travels to visit children and grandchildren), but it also included readings from Shakespeare, conversations about Greek and Norse myths, traditional Irish blessings, and a beautiful a cappella rendition of a Japanese drinking song!

All of this took place around a large dinner table laden with dishes of salmon, bison, exotic cheeses, fruit and turkey.

As my mother's father (an immigrant from Hungary) often said, "We eat good in America!"

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter discusses place names on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news113009.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Bison?

    Did you say bison?

    Who's the intrepid soul who brought bison to the dinner table?

    Was it local?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Leonard9:47 AM

    I actually fell more in love with Ocracoke when I was there in the off-season last Feb. to attend NCCAT! I love the sense of community that exists there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the island, not just for its natural beauty and serenity, but most of all for all the fun and interesting people who live there.
    I have to say, though, that on a New Year's Day a number of years ago, the Kostar/Nunn crew all took a quick dip in the ocean and lived to tell about it. I even have photos to prove it!
    Happy New Year! See you this August.
    Bill Kostar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Thank you for all your efforts in maintaining this quaint blog. I say quaint in a good way. I read many blogs after a long day in the rat race,I say rat race in a good way --if there is such a thing . i toil away bringing joy to girls and boys this time of year, it is busy helping packages reach their destination-- if you get my drift. Anyway, reading your blog is life affirming -- that I try to make the most of each day and not think well ,when i retire, I will XYZ -- live in the moment ,that is the message I get from your musings--- and I hope others take that simple message to heart.

    Happy new year. My picture fix is met at another photo driven daily life type blog of life in Middle America. Thank you for introducing me to blogs -- I read your blog before I consider reading about what is happening in Bedford/Cantitoe Corners N.Y.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:35 PM

    A place cannot be boring-only boring people can make it boring.

    ReplyDelete