Sunday, November 07, 2010

Sooner or Later...

...we knew it would happen. Last week for several days our Verizon cell phones either didn't work, or they only worked sporadically. At first I thought it was just my phone. But then I heard neighbors saying they were also having trouble getting a signal.

Amy pointed out that one day we had seen a large crane working at the microwave tower. Someone else told me that AT&T was adding a dish to the tower. In the process of installing the new equipment our connections were disrupted. But now, apparently, Ocracoke will have one more cell phone provider.

Just thought our visitors with AT&T would like to know that you can no longer get away from your office when vacationing on Ocracoke (unless you just turn your phones off!).

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an article, with a number of photos, documenting the history of water cisterns on Ocracoke Island. Click on the following link to go directly there: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102110.htm.

11 comments:

  1. bill kostar7:38 AM

    Actually, you CAN get away from the office while you're vacationing on island, and you should so you can really appreciate what Ocracoke is and what it can do for each of us.
    Do what I do; leave your cell phone and laptop at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:22 AM

    When this happened to me I called VERIZON CUSTOMER SERVICE & they very graciously credited my acct. for the days when I had no service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:18 PM

    That's good news! I have always had to use a pay-as-you-go Verizon phone when I visited Ocracoke. Now I can use my own phone and save buying all those expensive minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby has NEXTEL work phone and it will not work on Ocracoke. His boss does not have my cell number, so when we come, we are work free from his job. I don't work, so when we are fishing or riding our bikes - don't have to worry about anyone from his job calling. PLEASE DON'T LET NEXTEL PUT A TOWER UP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:46 PM

    Have you heard any more on the AT&T dish?
    I cant find any information on the web.
    My husband and I are on the island almost everyday for business and personal reasons. As of today I still have no service and am delaying switching carriers b/c I am attached to my iphone but can't go on like this for much longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any official news about AT&T on Ocracoke...but their trucks were here on the island last month while there was work being done on the dish tower. And the word on the streets was that AT&T would be available here in early November. But I haven't heard anything lately...nor anything from any reliable source. Still, I think AT&T is coming to the island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look for more information about AT&T on my upcoming post for Wed. 11/17/2010.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Thank you Philip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Correction: I think the AT&T post will be on the 18th...at any rate, look for it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:35 PM

    Any new info on AT&T??
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard anything lately about AT&T. If I do I'll post something.

    ReplyDelete