Thursday, February 03, 2011

Sandersons and Wahabs

The temperature climbed up into the 60s yesterday with some light rain (far different from so many other parts of our country!). It was the perfect day to pay a visit with cousin Blanche. Recently I had had correspondence with a couple of people who have distant connections with Ocracoke -- a descendant of Richard Sanderson, who sold Ocracoke Island to my ancestor, William Howard, in 1733 (I offered my condolences), and a direct descendant of Eliza Bradley Howard (1808-1870) & Job Wahab (1802-1860). Eliza Bradley & Job had 15 children. Surprisingly, today there are no Wahabs living on Ocracoke. Blanche always likes to know when I hear about island and family connections. And she can always fill in more details. What an amazing resource...and gracious neighbor...she is.

Several months ago I published an Ocracoke Newsletter about the Ocracoke Wahabs. In case you missed it you can read it here:
http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082110.htm.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Sam Jones, Island Legend. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012111.htm.

13 comments:

  1. Amazing woman. Eliza and Job had 15 children, and she outlived him by ten years. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got math skills? Actually it was only 4 years, because Eliza was born 6 years after Job. Remarkable nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Who is the oldest living Howard on the island?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is the oldest living Howard on the island? OMG this is sobering! Lindsay Howard is a few years older than I am, but he spends part of the year in Elizabeth City. Blanche is almost 30 years older than I am, but her married name is Jolliff. Regardless, I'm going with Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a totally unrelated question that I keep forgetting to ask. How is the radio station doing? I miss their online streaming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't listen much to radio, but every now and then I catch one of their programs, or music. They broadcast a school "away" basketball game recently...it was a first. I understand that Andrew Stern will be reporting & commenting on world news (from an island perspective?? One can only wonder) Monday mornings at 9 am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Never tire of hearing about original families

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:42 PM

    God bless Blanche. Does she have any children?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, Blanche does not have any children. She has two nephews who live on the island, Frankie & Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:32 PM

    Hope all the Howards will continue to demonstrate "long genes". :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yea the temp was pretty wild

    - !! Main St Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Phillip, have you read Robert A. Heinlein's novels, "Methuselah's Children" and "Time Enough for Love"?

    Speaking of Howard families and "long genes".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never read a Heinlein novel, but would like to one day (though I already have a tall stack of "to read" books on my shelves). I thought I would start with "Stranger in a Strange Land." Now I've got others to consider. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete