Sunday, May 08, 2011

Clam Chowder

I haven't been clamming yet this season (though I have heard about folks gathering a mess recently). But I did cook a big pot of clam chowder yesterday afternoon. I had two ziplock bags of frozen clams in the freezer. I opened the clams, chopped them up, added a half dozen potatoes, a very large onion, and fried salt pork...and cooked them for a couple of hours.

Amy, David, & Lachlan came over for supper. After dessert Amy & David talked about their day around the kitchen table. Lachlan and I sat on the pizer watching the day slip into night. We told stories, shared jokes (what kind of a dog does a scientist like best?...A lab), laughed, and watched our new neighbors move into the rental house across the lane.

Such a nice way to spend the early evening on a lovely springtime day in May.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the history of the Ocracoke Preservation Society. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042111.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:38 PM

    Wonderful memories, Philip....that Lachlan has "dry humor", I can tell. So funny about the lab and scientist joke! What a "simple, but lovely" way to spend an evening.

    Speaking of memories, during our Mother's Day service @ church, the organist (87 year old grandmother) and I(on the piano...my age isn't important!) played a duet: Precious Memories. It just seemed appropriate on Mother's Day to play it for the meditation music.

    Happy Mother's Day to all of your "mother" bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:26 PM

    Was it not the lure of clam chowder that brought the OPS together? Wouldn't it be nice , if every time someone rode the free ferry they donate a fare amount to OPS? Oh, yes in deed, some know talk is cheap.

    ReplyDelete