Sunday, July 17, 2011

Autumn in July

After a sweltering day of high humidity and a heat index of around 110 last Wednesday, conditions changed overnight...literally. Thursday dawned bright and beautiful, with "cotton ball" clouds, low humidity, and temperatures in the 70s.

My son Stefen, his wife Snee, and my grandchildren, Zoe, Eakin, & Eliza, are visiting for two weeks. We all went out to the beach Thursday evening to watch the full moon rise over the Atlantic as the sun was setting in the west. Lou Ann took pictures. I will share several in the next few days.

Temperatures have been slowly climbing the last few days, but it is only in the mid 70s as I write, with the forecast calling for mid to high 80s for the next several days.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a modern day ghost tale,"Ode to Mrs. Godfrey," by guest columnist Tom McDonald. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062111.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:13 AM

    How nice for you to have your family & lovely weather too. "Cotton ball" clouds-I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Yes, the weather has been extremely pleasant for mid-July...especially in sticky, humid NC!!!! Whenever an unusually cooler day would appear in the middle of summer, with lower dew points and cool breezes, my late husband, Scott, would say, "Honey, it's one of those Ocracoke days! Don't you wish we were there?" Of course, I would whole heartedly agree.

    True story....a few days ago, while mowing my large rural yard and enjoying the breeze on my face, I shouted towards those puffy "cotton ball clouds", "Scott, it's one of those rare Ocracoke days!" I honestly believe I heard Scott say, "It sure is!!!!! When can we go to Ocracoke?" My reply, "Oh, any time my dear, any time."

    Enjoy these special days, whether it's cool or hot and humid with your family. I know you will show your grandchildren a grand time; filled with such simple, but priceless joys and wholesome Ocracoke fun. I bet your Lachlan enjoys having his cousins around, too!

    ReplyDelete