Monday, July 11, 2011

You Ain't Heard Nothin Yet!

Our friend Janet sent us the following photos of the Monday evening show Amy & I put on at Deepwater Theater. It is called "You Ain't Heard Nothing Yet, Strange Stories and Quirky Tales of Ocracoke Island." We started this one hour performance last year. This season we have developed all new stories.

For 2011 we share stories about the US Life Saving Service, including the almost unbelievable rescue of six sailors from the three-masted schooner, Sarah D. J. Rawson, that wrecked at Cape Lookout in 1905. We also tell the humorous story of Ocracoke's first automobile accident, the account of the unusual cargo from the Pioneer (a steamer that wrecked here in 1889), an island ghost story, and the hillarious antics of a quirky old-time islander, "Ma Britty." In addition, David treats the audience with a selection of fiddle music, and we instruct the audience in a number of unique island words and expressions. It is a fun evening and a great opportunity to immerse yourself in interesting island lore. We even provide time to ask the questions you've been pondering...but never knew whom to ask.

We set the stage for a very informal presentation:



(Click on photo to view a larger image.)

I even bring out my old-time dancing man for some light entertainment:



(Click on photo to view a larger image.)

We hope to see you -- Monday evenings at 8 o'clock at Deepwater Theater on School Road. Admission is $12 for adults, and $6 for kids.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a modern day ghost story, "Ode to Mrs. Godfrey," written by guest columnist Tom McDonald. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062111.htm.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM

    All the shows on the "grand strand" in Myrtle Beach, SC can't compete with what you all offer on O.I. for fun and unique entertainment. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bill kostar7:26 AM

    We're arriving on island for a week's stay on July 30. Will this great show still be going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy & I will be doing the show throughout the summer. We might even be doing it through September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie S.8:42 AM

    If you do it the week of Labor Day you can count on 3 guests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:20 AM

    Easy question: Is Amy as fascinated with OI history as you are?

    ReplyDelete
  6. East answer to Anon. (9:20 am): Almost

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Are there amusing stori?es about the origins of the fig cake. Some one gave me fresh figs which I thought I could use in the fig cake. I read the recipe which called for fig preserves-- undaunted, I followed a recipe for fig preserves and just didn't can them. Oh, I know you want to sell OI FP but I needed to make it work-- now I need to get OIFP for a comparison. Also, the Joy of cooking has an interesting piece About figs-- also I shal bring the cake in to work for the fig donor-- I hope i didn't add 1/2 cup too much flour aso I used buttermilk powder and didn't drain the figs-- I hope this is a forgiving recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:13 AM

    Thanks for the quick reply. I thought you might like a nice easy one for a change. I'm a very low maintenance blogger.

    ReplyDelete