Sunday, January 29, 2012

Buoys

Not long ago Lou Ann and I were taking a late afternoon bike ride around the village, and noticed several sea buoys. I'm not sure why the buoys were lying on the grass near the NPS docks (across the street from the Visitors Center). I am guessing the Coast Guard put them there for routine maintenance. There was one green can buoy, and two red buoys, including the Number 4 Nun buoy I am standing beside.



Some nautical advice my father taught me: "Red to the Right when Returning!" Also, port wine is red...and "port" has four letters, just like "left." Ships have red running lights on the port side, and green lights on the starboard side.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the "Joe Bell" flower. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012112.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 AM

    Is there a tagger on the island? A Graffiti artist on the island--I can see someone would not pass up the chance to tag those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:31 PM

    There is an old song that says "Starboard shines green and port is glowing red, I can see the barges far ahead!" We all have our way to remember...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ocracoke is still a world apart. It never occurred to me that someone might spray paint graffiti on the buoys. And it doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone else either, I am happy to report. Just one more reason I love living here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian P.9:43 AM

    Hey Phillip,
    I often hear the hum of a buoy from my house. Any idea where it might be located?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, check with Gary & Kitty. I think they know where that buoy is located.

    ReplyDelete