Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Seventy Lessons in Spelling"

That is the title of a small book published in 1885. I am not exactly sure how my copy came into my possession, but it was clearly a school textbook used by my Uncle Evans (1905-1923), for his name is written several times on both the front and back pages.

In addition to his name, several poems are inscribed on blank pages. Inside the front cover is this verse: "Remember me in friendship, remember me in love, remember it was your dear little sweetheart who wrote this in your book."

Clearly, the poem in the book is a personalized version of the popular "Friendship Album" poem which I discovered on the Internet: "Remember me in Friendship, Remember me in Love, Remember me, Dear [          ], When we both meet up above."

There is another hand-written poem in the book: "Think of me in the morning, think of me in the night, think of me dear darling and don't forget to write."

Uncle Evans left Ocracoke in 1922, when he was only 17 years old. He died of pneumonia just a few months later, in Philadelphia. We will never know what might have come of his teenage romance.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Ocracoke and the "Lost" Colony. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112111.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:38 AM

    Poor Evans...we will never know what might have been. And yet he is not forgotten. Your father remembered him by giving you his name , and you immortalized him in your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:38 AM

    R.I.P. Uncle Evans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Thanks for sharing. NC Mainlander appreciates you explaining what happened to your Uncle Evans. It's a sad ending.

    Sometimes folks will tell a story about someone and then will leave one wondering "what happened?". Because you are an expert story teller, Philip, you always answer the "who, what, when, where, why and how" for your faithful bloggers. And, if you don't, we tend to nag you until you do tell all! :)

    ReplyDelete