Saturday, June 30, 2012

Books

When my father was eight-three years old he read his first book, Alicia, My Story, by Alicia Appleman-Jurman. My daughter-in-law was reading the book and my father noticed that the photo on the cover looked a lot like my mother who had died recently. My dad asked to borrow the 433 page book, and finished it a couple of weeks later.

 
When I asked my dad why he hadn't ever read a book before, he just said that he always had other things to occupy his mind. Alicia started him on a book reading project. Before he died seven years later he had read thirty-two books, many of them classics such as Silas Marner and To Kill a Mockingbird

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

 Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Molly Lovejoy's 2012 Ocracoke School Valedictory Address. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062112.htm



6 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who thinks the woman on the cover looks like your daughter Amy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing Philip. I guess it's never to late to become a reader. I can't remember the 1st book I read, but remember reading Ala Baba and the Forty Thieves at about 7 and it scared me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:50 AM

    Maybe your Dad found some comfort in reading. I know it helped me get through that very dark time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:03 PM

    typo ... eight-three .. should be eighty-three

    I hope you don't mind my pointing them out. I'm pretty good at catching other people's typo's ... not so good at seeing my own!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right you are, Jackie. The word "typo's" does not need an apostrophe. It should be plural, not possessive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:37 AM

    See?!!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete