Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Visitors to the island are often surprised to discover a long-time connection between Ocracoke and northern cities, especially Philadelphia. Beginning at the turn of the twentieth century, many island men, realizing that the coastal schooner trade (where they worked as sailors, captains, and owners) was soon coming to an end, found work on dredges and tugboats on the Delaware River. For fifty years there was a steady stream of young men moving to Philadelphia to work.

In an interview in 1989, Elizabeth O'Neal Howard, who traced her ancestry to many of Ocracoke's founding families, commented that "I don't have a first cousin on this island. I had 33 when I was born, but now I've got more cousins in New Jersey and Pennsylvania than I have here."*

The exodus to Philadelphia stopped in the mid-twentieth century after the road was paved to Hatteras Inlet, and the state began regular ferry service across the inlet.

*Ocracoke, Its History and People, by David Shears, 1989.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Hurricane House and the Hurricane Boards. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072112.htm


6 comments:

  1. Julie S.10:01 AM

    Question for you Phillip - Are there any honeybee keepers on the island or does the spraying of mosquitos (don't know what they spray)prohibit beekeeping? Thanks for the always insightful, interesting and envy-stoking blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:38 AM

    Is there an available copy of Elizabeth O'Neal's interview or perhaps a link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie S -- I am not aware of there ever being any beekeepers on Ocracoke. However, maybe one of our local readers has other information. If so, I hope they will leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth's interview is available in the book "Ocracoke, Its History and People," by David Shears, 1989. I don't think Village Craftsmen has the book in stock at this time, but I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re. "Ocracoke Its History and People" by David Shears -- I understand that the book is no longer in print. I will share a few quotations in future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete