Thursday, October 04, 2012

Fiddler Crabs

On July 18 of this year I wrote a blog post about mud fiddlers (http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.com/2012/07/mud-fiddlers.html). In the most recent issue of our local newspaper, The Ocracoke Observer, Peter Vankevich writes about the fiddler crab in his column (Spotted on Ocracoke). You can find fiddler crabs (or mud fiddlers) in the salt marsh this time of year. As Peter points out, they are close cousins to the common ghost crabs that live on the beach.

Peter writes that he "found it fascinating that the enlarged claw may be on the left or the right side. Also if the large claw is lost, the small claw will grow into the large size and only a small claw will replace the lost one."

I didn't know that either. Fascinating, indeed!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a gallery of photos of fences on Howard Street and Lawton Lane. To go directly to the this month's Newsletter click here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news092112.htm

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:47 AM

    I just know this will come in handy someday. You just never know what little tidbit of information can be a "make or break" in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:01 PM

    Just received my copy of the Ocracoke Observer in the mail here in the northern piedmont of NC. Very interesting article. (Fellow out-of-town bloggers, if you don't subscribe to the Ocracoke Observer, it's worthwhile to do so. I so enjoy my issues and read each one from cover to cover...including the advertisements!)

    NC Mainlander still hoping to make a trip to O.I. before winter. Maybe I'll see one of these fiddler crabs for myself! Not any in these parts!

    ReplyDelete