Friday, March 08, 2013

Clam Chowder

I know I've posted a recipe for Ocracoke Island clam chowder in the past, but I've been hankering for some again recently, so I am posting another recipe. This is how my Aunt Leevella made her chowder:

1 quart clams (medium ground or chopped)
3 medium potatoes, cubed small
1 onion cut fine
2 slices salt pork (cut in cubes)
2 quarts water
salt to taste

Fry out pork til brown. Add clams and onion and water. Cook about 1 1/2 hours, then add potatoes; cook another 1 1/2 hours on very low heat.

It's good some!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the unique "Ocracoke Greeting." You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022113.htm

2 comments:

  1. My granddaughter liked to watch it "dipped out of the boat" at Cap'n Bens. That was many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bear MacDonald8:19 AM

    If it is good some, then I'll have some.

    ReplyDelete