Friday, March 29, 2013

Hammock Hills

A walk down Hammock Hills Nature Trail is always a delightful way to spend part of an afternoon. Not long ago I was standing on the platform overlooking the Sound when I noticed three egrets wading along the edge of a tidal creek. The glare on the camera display made it difficult to frame a photo, but I did get a shot of two of the birds.














Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a video of Philip Howard telling the story of the 1861 wreck of the Black Squall. You can watch it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032113.htm.

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to get a bad shot on Ocracoke... IMHO. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Leonard8:38 AM

    I agree with Robb! When I was on the island in February I enjoyed watching three egrets in the marsh behind my house. They were there for a long time before moving on to what I suppose was a more fertile feeding area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:00 PM

    I don't get to come down here to my house in the north pond area but I am looking out my window at a bunch of birds.. I really need to get a good bird book, I had a couple but good old renters thought that they were here for the taking..... But yes it's easy to take a good picture here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:22 PM

    your right, I also have a house on ocracoke in the Jackson area. I get down there once, maybe twice a year just to check things out and t make sure it hasn't burned down! (just kidding) But your right when you say that some renters think that the books that we have in our small library for them to read while on vacation are there's to keep. Anyway, from our decks we can see a lot long ways out and with a telescope observe them close up without walking through the muck. We're down here for a week now and tomorrow I am getting another bird book. Look out birds, we're watching you. Happy Easter Ocracoke from your 1 week a year neighbor.

    ReplyDelete