Monday, March 04, 2013

More Sad Songs

Sad songs were popular on Ocracoke Island years ago. I remember sitting with family, singing many of these songs. Favorites included:
  • Put My Little Shoes Away
  • The Letter Edged in Black
  • The Little Rosewood Casket
  • Babes in the Woods
  • Sitting Along in an Old Rocking Chair
Not long ago I heard the last song on a radio program (A Prairie Home Companion). You can follow this link to hear Eddy Arnold singing "Sitting Along in an Old Rocking Chair," one of my dad's favorites: http://www.musictory.com/music/Eddy+Arnold/Rocking+Alone+In+An+Old+Rocking+Chair

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the unique"Ocracoke Greeting." You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022113.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 AM

    Thanks so much for these memories. I grew up with Eddie Arnold on the radio, and am so glad to hear him again - that clear sweet voice, every word understandable. I note that it's 'alone', not 'along', although I would think that many people, probably including your Dad, sang it as 'along', which actually works out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was very hard-of-hearing, deaf in one ear and nearly deaf in the other. I am sure he didn't understand most of the words to this song. My grandmother was never neglected, but my dad had this nostalgic image of her "rocking (probably along...not alone) in her old rocking chair."

      You are so right about Eddie Arnold -- a clear sweet voice.

      Delete