Friday, March 22, 2013

The Oblong Box

"After incredible labor we succeeded, at length, in getting the long-boat over the side without material accident, and into this we crowded the whole of the crew and most of the passengers. This party made off immediately, and, after undergoing much suffering, finally arrived, in safety, at Ocracoke Inlet, on the third day after the wreck."

"The Oblong Box" by E.A. Poe















The above passage is from "The Oblong Box," a short story by Edgar Allan Poe which was published in 1844. I am sure your local library can get you a copy of this story.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a video of Philip Howard telling the story of the 1861 wreck of the Black Squall. You can watch it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032113.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Or here :-)
    http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/eapoe/bl-eapoe-oblong.htm Poe was, in my humble opinion, a great author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robb, thanks for the link. I agree, Poe was a great author.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know this story. Was Poe on the OBX. I have some ivy in my yard that is supposidly from his grave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that Poe ever visited the Outer Banks, but maybe he did. We will probably never know for sure.

      Delete