Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Farewell Ed

Several days ago I mentioned Wilson Tilmon Farrow, Sr. (1798-1880), Ocracoke resident and member of the state legislature. In 1835 he was working with an attorney in Boston to unravel the details of suspected criminal activity on Ocracoke (we're still trying to figure out exactly what happened...and we'll let you know if and when we do).

One of Wilson Tilmon Farrow's children was Edward Farrow (1839-1878).

Edward Farrow, 1839-1878














Edward Farrow was appointed Postmaster for Ocracoke in 1875, at age 36. He died three years later, and is buried in the yard at Berkley Manor.

Edward Farrow has one of my favorite epitaphs: "Farewell Ed."

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of the Ocracoke Post Office. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042113.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Kathi7:18 AM

    Hi Philip. I might have told you about Thurman O'Neal's wish for an epithet...although it was not fulfilled....
    "I told you I wasn't feeling well".

    I think that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw that Calvin O'Neal died this week. Another farewell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:07 AM

    What cemetery was he buried in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed Farrow is buried in the yard of Berkley Manor. Calvin O'Neal's funeral and burial has not taken place yet. I was waiting to hear when and where that would be before posting a notice about Calvin.

      Delete