Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Kunigunde Guth Howard & Amy Howard

This photo of my mother, Kunigunde Guth Howard, was taken about 1955. I found it in the same box with the photo I shared yesterday. If you click on the photo and look carefully you can see the Ocracoke lighthouse and the Berkley Castle in the background just to the side of my mother's left elbow.

This picture was taken in the front yard of the house I now live in, on Lawton Lane.


















I took the next photo of my daughter Amy standing in the same location. Unlike yesterday's photo of Howard Street that shows little change, it is remarkable how much vegetation has covered the village in the last 60 years!

Today, trees and buildings make it almost impossible to see the lighthouse from most vantage points from as close as 100 yards.


















This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a tribute to a wonderful man who did much for Ocracoke Island, Marvin Wyche Howard (1897-1969). You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052113.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:00 AM

    This is not to be critical but merely a comment on social conventions. As I see it, were I a woman of the 50's about to have my photo taken , photos being not so everyday(?) and that is why 50 years ago women appear to be wearing their "Sunday best" in images from that time period. I look through my photos and I am rarely captured in a dress though Lord knows there are dresses in my closet. I suppose if I had a house dress that I could splash bleach on maybe that is why I should wear painters pants or something all white if that is my concern. The fabrics of today's fashions are not work horse fabrics. The cotton prints that look like quilt squares or pillow ticking are putting women into a corner. I don't wear track suits, I don't jog merely run errands; and yoga pants well does eating yogurt count? my sneakers are sneakers I play tennis occasionally and well, loafers I wear those alot really alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juanita5:22 PM

    Philip,
    I loved seeing the picture of Aunt Connie. She was a very pretty and such a sweet woman. Loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Philip, To your recollection, was the more exposed Ocracoke of yore a harsher environment, without the relative shelter of vegetation/trees that have grown up since then? For all the images of island kids in rolled up dungarees riding wild ponies, it nonetheless looks like a tough place to get caught outside on a long, hot day. Not that it isn't still, but nowadays you can duck into the Post Office, the Variety Store, a book shop--The Village Craftsmen--to cool down and catch a break from the elements.

    Appreciate your efforts, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please keep in mind that I did not grow up on Ocracoke, though we came here every summer. Of course, before air conditioning it was almost always hot, though there was usually a breeze. It was also a long, hot walk to the beach...but Silver Lake was clean and accessible, the perfect place for teenagers to cool off.

      Delete