Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Patsy Lab

I walked into the Health Clinic a couple of days ago, and sat down as far away from the one other patient as possible. "I don't want to infect you with what I've got," I said. "It's no fun...nasal and chest congestion, headache, listlessness."

"Oh, don't worry," my neighbor said, "I've got the Patsy Lab, too. My head feels like it's going to explode."

"The Patsy Lab is the umbrella of disease.  When you have the Patsy Lab it means you're bad off," said Jason Wells, as quoted this winter in the Ocracoke Current. No one seems to know where the term originated, but I'm nearly 100% sure it is a uniquely Ocracoke Island expression. If any of our readers has more to add, please leave a comment. In the meanwhile I'm staying home, resting, and drinking plenty of fluids.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a photo gallery of past July 4th parade photos. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062113.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Julie S.9:37 AM

    Sorry you are feeling poorly! I find 12 hour Musinex (not the generic) very helpful with chest congestion. Hope you are soon feeling yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:22 PM

    Hope you will have a fast recovery. NC Mainlander has never heard the term for your illness in Person county, NC. Bet it is unique to O.I.






    ReplyDelete