Saturday, July 13, 2013

Wood-Fired Pizza Oven

There is a new game in town for fresh-baked pizza. Randy White, brick mason and jack-of-all-trades, has built a beautiful brick, wood-fired pizza oven at Dajio's restaurant.

Randy White & Friends














Lou Ann and I stopped by this past Thursday evening to observe as they baked their very first pizzas. It is an impressive operation...and the pizza (we were served a shrimp & scallop pizza) was superb.

Be sure to stop by and try a delicious pizza baked in Randy's new wood-fired oven!

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a photo gallery of past July 4th parade photos. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062113.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Bear MacDonald8:34 AM

    The Dajio is among the finest of eateries anywhere on the Outer Banks (or probably Eastern Carolina). I always look forward to having their Creme Brulee French Toast at least once anytime that I am on OI. Shrimp and scallop pizza sounds irresitable! Do they serve it for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're happy ... my stomach just told me I have to either drive to Ocracoke for a seafood pizza or find a recipe on the internet. Fortunately, my stomach is okay with cooking it in a regular oven and isn't demanding I build a wood-fueled pizza oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:27 PM

    I wonder if anyone has considered that wood fired pizzas are a health hazard. The process of cooking in the stove creates carcinogens that are higher than in other cooking processes. Not to mention the increased fire risk to the building and neighboring structures. Has anyone considered if adequate insurance is in place before eating at this fine eatery?

    Had to say it before Debbie Downer did.....haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:38 AM

    I have the perfect advertising slogan: Wood-fired pizza--Because Ocracoke's just not hot enough already in the summer.

    ;-)

    A handsome oven that speaks well of your local mason. Will have to seek out Dajio next time we're southward and try some pizza. Shrimp and scallop sounds delicious!

    Appreciate your recent postings re. local businesses, Philip--Dajio's pizza, the seafood stand. Your notes offer worthwhile insight into venues we've never tried (or knew existed) before, and helpful suggestions re. places to visit next time we're on the island.

    Keep up the good work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:49 AM

    Anon 1:27 I do believe DD would be more concerned with the proximity of the flammable cardboard delivery boxes above the FIRE box of an oven if I do say so my self. Those burning boxes would mean less recipients of delicious pizza heaven

    ReplyDelete