Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wooden Pegs

Several days ago I shared a photo of some of the hand-forged iron nails that were retrieved from my house (built ca. 1865) when it was rehabilitated in 2005.

Nails were not used to fasten the roof rafters, however. The rafters were joined by a mortise and tenon joint and fastened with a wooden peg.  Click on the photo below to see a larger image (the original rafters are grey; new, larger rafters have been "sistered" alongside them for additional strength).














This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a photo gallery of past July 4th parade photos. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062113.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Wow the more I stare at the joist it looks like a pegged lap joint vs a draw bored mortise and tenon joint. The slight gaps that seem to appear in the photo puzzle me. Why were not the new boards joined in a mortise and tenon manner now I am quite puzzled? DD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question...and it's too hot to climb up into that tiny crawl space to investigate further.

      Delete