Sunday, January 19, 2014

Otter Trail?

I know this isn't much of a picture. I took it from the viewing platform on the sound side of the Hammock Hills Nature Trail. Every time I stand there and look down I notice the mashed down marsh grass. I always assume that these are "trails" made by otters.


















River otters are relatively common in Silver Lake harbor. They are often seen in the vicinity of the NPS docks and near the Jolly Roger restaurant. I have even seen them swimming in Pamlico Sound, not far from the shore. However, I have never seen them at the end of the Nature Trail. Can any of our readers confirm that these "trails" were made by otters?

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an account of the 2013 Portsmouth Island Christmas Bird Count. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012114.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment