A buck an ear!
Seriously, the following rewards were offered by Governor Spotswood in November, 1718 to "every Person or Persons" who "shall take any Pyrate, or Pyrates, on the Sea or Land, or in case of Resistance, shall kill any such Pyrate, or Pyrates between the Degrees of thirty four, and thirty nine, of Northern Latitude, & within one hundred Leagues of the Continent of Virginia, or within the Provinces of Virginia or North Carolina":
- For every private Man taken on Board a Pyrate ship, Sloop, or Vessel....£10
- For every "inferior officer"....£15
- For every Lieutenant, Master, or Quartermaster, Boatswain, or Carpenter....£20
- For every Commander of a Pyrate Ship, Sloop, or Vessel [except, see next]....£40
- For Edward Teach, commonly called Captain Teach, or Blackbeard....£100
Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a reprint of a 1948 article about the Mail Boat Aleta, "Boat Hauls Mail, More." You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032114.htm.