Monday, May 05, 2014

An Unexpected Discovery

On Saturday, as I was walking along the beach, I stumbled upon a cache of seashells tossed up by King Neptune.















The first item that caught my eye was the large, bright white sand dollar. Just a few steps away was a large area covered mostly with broken shards of seashells.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a couple of sturdy lettered olive shells. Within a very few minutes I had gathered a dozen and a half olives and a small piece of coral, as well as the sand dollar.

I left more shells for the next person who happened by. Keep your eyes open as you stroll along our beach (but don't ask me to tell you where I found these shells!).  

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of traveling to the island on Frazier Peele's ferry in 1951. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042114.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:48 AM

    PH do you think good luck in shell collecting is related to the tides and the phases of the moon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about phases of the moon, but you are more likely to find shells at low tide & after storms.

      Delete