Friday, January 15, 2016

Spencer House Update

On November 30 of last year I published a post about the Spencer House on Lighthouse Road. 

Photo by Henry Raup













At that time I wrote "The house on the right, a traditional island "story and a jump," was built in the early 20th century by Andrew Spencer. The last resident was his cousin, Caswell Spencer (1886-1905).

An alert reader left this comment: " Philip - I'm wondering if the death date for Caswell Spenser, 1905 at age 19, is correct. The numbers don't add up. The story and a jump house was built in early 1900s, he was the last resident. That's a maximum of 4 years he lived there before dying, after which the house stood empty for 85 years before being torn down? A death date of 1965, plus or minus, would fit the numbers you have given."

I replied, "I think I did make a mistake, but I am not sure of the correct dates.... [C]heck back now and then [and I will try to find the correct dates]. Thanks for the keen observation!"

According to the National Register of Historic Places' list of Ocracoke's contributing structures, the house in question is referred to as "the Andrew Spencer House." It was built in the "early 20th century" on "land belonging to John Spencer." I am guessing the first owner of the house was Andrew Spencer, Jr. (1885-1947), who received the land from his first cousin, John [William] Spencer (1859-1927). 

I believe the last resident of the house was William Caswell ("Caswell") Spencer (1912-1979), grandson of John William Spencer (1859-1927). Caswell Spencer (1886-1905), whom I mistakenly listed as the last owner, was William Caswell Spencer's uncle. Neither Caswell nor William Caswell ever married or had children.

Many members of this extended family continue to live on Ocracoke. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me. 

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Capt. Horatio Williams and his schooner, the Paragon. You can read the story here: www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112115.htm.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Too bad the old house was torn down. It's beautiful and it's old Ocracoke style.

    ReplyDelete