Saturday, July 23, 2005

Quilts and Stories......

It was a lazy Saturday morning. You know the kind that I mean..... an extra cup of coffee on the pizer, a little reading, and time to watch the sleepy village wake up. I was deep into my book when Dale Mutro came bounding up the front steps carrying a large bag. Dale's smile and stories are contagious...I knew he had something wonderful to show me.

He reached into the bag and drew out a handmade quilt. We took it inside to the front parlor so I could get a better look and keep it from sand and sun.

The quilt was hand-stitched. The material had come from Dale's Granny. She passed away last fall and Dale took all of her "shifts" to Agnes Wren to be made into a quilt.

"I remember every one of these patches," he said, "I washed all of her clothes." Dale cared for his Granny in ways that we only read about in books.

He stood in the front parlor in the early morning shadows...holding his quilt, his treasure.

Dale owns more than a quilt. He owns memories and stories.

Lou Ann

[Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Kunigunde Guth Howard, published June 30, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news061505.htm.]

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I met Dale when I was in the shop about 3 weeks ago. I enjoyed talking to him very much, he does tell delightful stories. Tell Dale that I know how special that quilt is and will be to him. I hadn't heard of doing the quilts until just recently, I want to have that done, but a dear friend had a teddy bear made from one of my son's shirts when he was killed and that bear is one of my most treasured possessions. Dale, enjoy your quilt and your memories until we all are reunited in Heaven. I know there must be a special place in Heaven for grandsons that are so loving and giving.

    ReplyDelete