Sunday, May 24, 2009

Airish

Several days ago I posted a few old-time Ocracoke words. And I promised to define them in future posts. Today's word is airish. It just means breezy or windy, and maybe a bit cool. It was certainly airish about a week ago (walking on the beach almost felt like being in a hurricane).

In other news, the 4th annual Fireman's Ball last night was a huge success. The barbecue was about the best I've ever had, I'm certain the auction raised more money than any previous auction (details when I get them), and the Community Center was packed for the dance. Everyone was in a great mood, and happy to contribute to the fund to build our new fire house.

Thanks to all of the individuals and businesses who sponsored the weekend, those who gave items for the auction, folks who donated time and energy, Julia Hutcherson who deeded the land for the new building, and, of course, all of the men and women who volunteer as active fire fighters.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of paved roads on Ocracoke. It may not sound very exciting, but there have been dramatic changes on the island because of the construction of paved roads a half century ago. You can read the newsletter, and see some rare photos here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Don Davis5:08 PM

    Hi, Philip! I used "airish" on Friday while playing golf. The guy I was playing with looked at me like I was crazy. When I explained what it meant, it made sense to him.
    See you in a couple of weeks!
    Don Davis
    Ranburne, AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip ~ I don't know what the BBQ and silent auctions took in, but I was keeping track of what each item in the Live Auction went for, and the total is over $15,000!

    ReplyDelete