Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fladget

I just discovered that five years ago (to the day) I mentioned the word "fladget" in this journal. All of the older island natives know the word. It means a piece or chunk of something. Normally it is used to refer to food ("Pass me a fladget of that ham, please."), or to flesh wounds ("I just cut a fladget of skin off of my elbow."), but it can be used in other ways too ("Honey, you've caught yourself on that there nail, and ripped a fladget off your dress.").

I know that language changes over time, and words like fladget often get replaced...but if you are a younger native islander reading today's blog, consider reintroducing some of our distinctive and colorful words (like fladget, airish, & begommed) into your speech. Your grandparents will enjoy the connection with their past, and your children will have one more reason to celebrate this unique island.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of paved roads on Ocracoke. It may not sound very exciting, but there have been dramatic changes on the island because of the construction of paved roads a half century ago. You can read the newsletter, and see some rare photos here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 AM

    So, you're saying that was a fladget I lost out of my hand helping you sink your well point.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, you might say that!

    ReplyDelete