- Use collard leaves on your forehead to bring down a fever
- For chicken pox take a black hen or rooster. Boil with the feathers still on and apply on the pox
- For warts, steal your mama's dish rag and bury it
- For earache, get a member of the opposite sex to urinate on a cotton ball and place it in your ear
- For a bee or wasp sting, use snuff, already wet from a woman's mouth
- To alleviate an itch, apply a mixture of gun powder & vinegar with a little kerosene added
Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of paved roads on Ocracoke. It may not sound very exciting, but there have been dramatic changes on the island because of the construction of paved roads a half century ago. You can read the newsletter, and see some rare photos here.
To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.