Friday, May 15, 2009

Self-Reliance

Yesterday afternoon Amy commented that she read that cobblers were making a comeback in these tougher economic times. I've often mentioned to her that my dad seldom hired anyone to do what he could do himself, but I'd almost forgotten about the shoe last that he routinely used to repair our shoes. Then I remembered my mother sitting in the living room darning our socks. I know I have the sock darner somewhere, but it hasn't been used in close to fifty years. Maybe they are making a comeback now, too.

In our last post I mentioned wanting to teach Lachlan how to tie a bowline. He did very well, even though he needed a reminder now and then (the rabbit come OUT of the hole...and he hops BEHIND the tree). Thinking about knots, and my dad's ability to do most anything he set his mind to, I took a photo of a bow fender (with turk's head) that he fashioned in the 1950s.



(Click on the photo to view a larger image.)

Pretty neat, huh!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of paved roads on Ocracoke. It may not sound very exciting, but there have been dramatic changes on the island because of the construction of paved roads a half century ago. You can read the newsletter, and see some rare photos here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:48 PM

    That is a work of art. Museum Quality. The background is awesome the image belongs in a book a gallery a poster to raise money for the Fish House Perhaps copywrite it fast get a watermark on that baby

    ReplyDelete