Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Island Words

Today's blog is just a little bit of Ocracoke trivia. Here are a few old-time island words. Any idea what they mean? Maybe some of our island readers will write in. If not I'll give the answers in a day or so.
  • airish
  • begommed
  • cunner
  • fladget
  • progue
  • givvy
  • shackley
  • wydge
Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of paved roads on Ocracoke. It may not sound very exciting, but there have been dramatic changes on the island because of the construction of paved roads a half century ago. You can read the newsletter, and see some rare photos here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:45 AM

    I feel as if you have engaged your readers in a game of meehonkey. If only I could locate my copy of the Schilling- Estes, Wolfman book. It was called Hoi Toide I will keep digging

    ReplyDelete